As a devoted pet parent, you know how important it is to feed your dog what’s good for them, and one of the most nutritious things you can give them is bone broth.
There are many types of bone broth on the market, including products made by big brands like The Honest Kitchen and Nature’s Logic. But of course, some are slightly more beneficial for your pup than others.
Do you go for homemade bone broth, beef bone broth, or simply some tasty bone broth treats? Unless you’ve done your homework, it can be difficult to decide! That’s why I’ve put together a list of the 8 best bone broths for dogs, based on factors including nutrition, flavor, and price.
So, if you’re wondering where to start with introducing bone broth into your dog’s diet, look no further! Keep on reading for the best bone broth for dogs, plus some tips on how to incorporate it into their meals.
What Is Bone Broth?
Bone broth was first used to feed dogs back in ancient China, and today it’s still a popular way to nourish furry friends all over the globe. In fact, bone broth is hailed as a superfood for dogs, and for good reason!
To make bone broth, bones and connective tissue are simmered in water for a long period. This process breaks down the collagen in the bones and creates a nutrient-rich broth. The end result is a liquid that’s packed full of collagen, glucosamine, chondroitin, amino acids, and other nutrients that help support everything from your dog’s digestive system to their joints, skin, and coat.
Bone broth is also easy on the stomach, making it a great option for dogs with digestive issues. Plus, the savory flavor is usually a big hit with pups!
Table of Contents
What Is the Best Bone Broth for Dogs?
Here are my top picks for the best bone broth for dogs:
Best Turkey Bone Broth
1) Solid Gold Turkey Bone Broth with Pumpkin & Ginger Dog Food Topper
Solid Gold Turkey Bone Broth with Pumpkin & Ginger Dog Food Topper is full of nutrients and bursting with flavor. It’s the perfect healthy bone broth to complement your pup’s meal.
- Nutritious, fully holistic meal topper or treat
- Pumpkin and ginger add nutrients and a rich taste
- Real turkey bones high in collagen
- Pouch is resealable for ultra-easy serving
This turkey, pumpkin, and ginger broth is delicious – and packed full of nutrients and flavor. And it’s so easy to use. Just add two tablespoons to your dog’s food as a tasty topping, mix into dry food for dogs with sensitive teeth, or add to their water bowl for some extra hydration. Your pup is sure to love it!
Best Beef Bone Broth
2) Nature's Logic Dehydrated Beef Bone Broth Dog & Cat Food Topper
With Nature’s Logic Dehydrated Beef Bone Broth Dog & Cat Food Topper, you can add a boost of flavor to your pet’s food. This tasty liquid drink is made from 100% all-natural, dehydrated beef bone broth and is a great way to add flavor and hydration to your dog’s regular diet.
- The 6-oz. tub will make 10 cups (84-oz) of liquid broth and the 2-lb. tub makes 56 cups (452-oz), giving you plenty of delicious beef bone broth for your dog, whatever their needs
- A natural source of trace minerals, amino acids, glucosamine, and chondroitin sulfate, this broth will support general immunity, nutrient absorption, and joint health
- Used as a daily supplement, it will support your dog in continual health and maintenance regardless of their age or size.
- No chemically synthesized vitamins or minerals
This delicious broth is great for any multi-pet household, and contains minerals, amino acids, glucosamine, and chondroitin sulfate – these improve joint health and enhance nutrient absorption! As a bonus, it boosts the immune system for overall wellbeing.
Best Grain-Free Bone Broth
3) Merrick Turkey Bone Broth Grain-Free Wet Dog Food Topper
Your dog deserves a delicious and nutritious meal, just like you! Merrick’s Grain-Free Turkey Bone Broth is the perfect way to add some extra flavor and moisture to your pup’s dinner. This human-grade meal topper is made with healthy ingredients like pumpkin, cranberries, cinnamon, turmeric, and ginger.
- For an easy burst of nutritious flavor, add this hearty turkey bone broth to your dog’s daily diet
- Enhanced with superfoods for optimal health benefits
- A source of minerals, compounds, and amino acids that will naturally support your dog’s joints
- 100% natural, nothing artificial
Your best friend deserves only the best, and that includes this hearty bone broth. Filled with natural minerals, joint-supporting compounds, and amino acids, it’s nutritious and full of flavorful health boosts your pooch will love. Serve it on dry food as is or mix it with freeze-dried raw bits as a water substitute.
Best Human-Grade Bone Broth
4) Brutus Broth Bone Broth Beef Flavor Hip& Joint Human-Grade Dog Food Topper
Brutus Broth Bone Broth Beef Flavor Hip & Joint Formula Dog Food Topper adds flavor, nutrients, and moisture to your dog’s diet. This delicious bone broth is 100% natural, human grade, and enhanced with turmeric, glucosamine, and chondroitin.
- Made with 100 percent human-grade ingredients and no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives, this non-GMO recipe is free of soy, dairy, gluten, and wheat
- Nutrient-dense and all-natural
- Glucosamine and chondroitin improve hip and joint health while turmeric eases inflammation
- Fortifies your pooch’s immune system and digestive system
- Aids in the natural increase of energy levels
- Can be used to rehydrate dried food or as a flavorful and nutritious topping for dehydrated meals
The benefits of this bone broth for your dog extend beyond just taste. It’s high in minerals, nutrients, and amino acids to boost their digestive health and immune system. This product is also non-GMO, soy-free, gluten-free, and low in fat and salt. Best of all, there are no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. Serve this easily digested stock on its own, as a liquid treat, or incorporated into your dog’s food, dry or wet.
Best Chicken Bone Broth
5) Purina Beyond Mixers Immune Support Chicken Bone Broth Wet Dog Food Complement
Once your pooch tries Purina Beyond Mixers Immune Support Chicken Bone Broth, they won’t want to eat anything else! This super tasty liquid food topper is blended with natural supplements, and collagen to boost your dog’s immune system. It’s also made with real chicken bone broth, adding that extra drool factor.
- Made specifically to shore up your dog’s immune system
- Fortified with natural collagen
- Made with real chicken bone broth
- Made without wheat, corn, or soy
- Full of flavor and added vitamins
With no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives as well as zero corn, wheat, or soy, you can feed your best four-legged pal with confidence. The single-serve pouches make it simple to add variety and nutrition to their diet by pouring over dry or wet food.
Best Bone Broth Stew
6) The Honest Kitchen Bone Broth Pour Overs Beef Stew Wet Dog Food Topper
The Honest Kitchen Bone Broth Pour Overs Beef Stew Wet Dog Food Topper adds excitement to your furry friend’s daily routine with a delicious combination of flavor and nutrition. Your dog will love the ranch-raised beef and carrots swimming in an ultra-tasty bone broth.
- Make your pet’s dinner more interesting by adding this stew to their dry food for extra nutrients
- Packed with carrots, protein, and beef
- Preservative-free, GMO-free, and gluten-free
- Made without carrageenan, meat meals, or filler
You and your dog will be pleased to know that the food you’re serving is made entirely with human-grade ingredients produced in a human food facility – without any artificial flavors or preservatives. It’ll soon be your pooch’s favorite dish to chow down on!
Best Bone Broth Treats
7) Rachael Ray Nutrish Soup Bones with Bone Broth Savory Beef Chew Bone Dog Treats
Rachael Ray Nutrish Soup Bones Savory Beef Recipe Crunchy Dog Treats are perfect for your furry friend’s taste buds. With natural beef, peas, and carrots, these tasty, healthy treats will satisfy your pup’s cravings while enhancing training or bonding exercises.
- Barley and beet pulp are high in energy and fiber – perfect for a doggy diet
- Chicken and gelatin keep your best four-legged pal active, supporting hip and joint health
- Supports immunity and digestive health in older breeds
- 100% free from any synthetic flavors or colors
These delicious snacks not only taste great but are also packed with essential vitamins and minerals to support your fur-baby’s hip and joint health, as well as their immune system and digestive wellbeing. Fiber and gelatine enhance the health benefits to your pooch and make this tasty bone broth treat a perfect addition to your best pal’s mealtime.
Best Grass-Fed Beef Bone Broth
8) Castor & Pollux Pristine Grass-Fed Beef Bone Broth With Turmeric Dog Food Topper
Season your furry friend’s food with Castor & Pollux Pristine Beef Bone Broth for a delectable treat. The grass-fed beef and turmeric blend is free of any artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.
- Made with responsibly raised, free-range grass-fed beef
- Perfect for dogs with food sensitivities that need an alternative to corn, soy, potatoes, wheat, or gluten
- 100% natural ingredients – nothing unnecessary
- Suitable for adult dogs of all breeds
Castor & Pollux Pristine Beef Bone Broth is a great option for dogs with food sensitivities, given its natural ingredients and absence of gluten, wheat, or soy. This delectable broth is cooked with love in Castor & Pollux’s USA kitchen – plus you can serve it alone, with a regular meal or with dry food.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is dog store-bought bone broth safe for my dog?
Yes, you can give your dog store-bought bone broth. As we’ve seen, it’s often made with natural ingredients that don’t contain any artificial flavors or preservatives.
To be safe, always check the label to make sure it’s suitable for your pup’s diet if they have any special requirements. And remember that some store-bought brands may use lower quality bones and/or add fillers and other things that aren’t necessarily beneficial for dogs. The best bone broth for dogs will contain a higher percentage of natural ingredients.
Can I make bone broth myself?
Yes, you can make homemade bone broth yourself following this recipe or something similar. When following a bone broth recipe, it’s important to use good quality bones from healthy animals.
How do I feed bone broth to my dog?
You can feed bone broth to your dog as a treat, or use it to top off their regular food. If you’re using it as a treat, simply give them a small amount (1-2 tablespoons) as a reward for good behavior. If you’re using it to supplement their regular diet, start by adding a few tablespoons to their food.
Are there any risks associated with feeding bone broth to dogs?
While bone broth is generally safe for dogs, there are a few potential risks to be aware of.
First, bones can splinter and cause choking or gastrointestinal blockages, so it’s important to strain homemade bone broth properly before serving.
You’ll also need to let the broth cool completely to avoid scalding your dog’s mouth or throat. Some commercial bone broths can be high in sodium, so always check the label before feeding it to your dog. When in doubt, consult with your veterinarian.
Can bone broth help my dog’s joint health?
Yes, bone broth can help support your dog’s joint health. The collagen in bone broth can help to strengthen and repair connective tissue, while glucosamine and chondroitin can help to reduce inflammation and pain. Bone broth is also a great source of minerals, which are essential for proper joint function.
Can bone broth help with my dog’s upset stomach?
Yes, bone broth can be helpful for dogs with upset stomachs. The nutrients in bone broth are known to have the following digestive benefits:
- Reducing inflammation
- Promoting healing
- Supporting the growth of healthy gut bacteria
- Improving nutrient absorption
Additionally, the gelatin in bone broth can help aid digestion. So, if your dog is suffering from an upset stomach, bone broth can be a helpful addition to their diet.
There you have it – my thoughts on the best bone broth for dogs. Throughout this post, I’ve looked at what bone broth is, how it can benefit your dog, and some of the best products on the market today. I’ve also answered some commonly asked questions about feeding bone broth to dogs. If you’re looking for a way to boost your dog’s health, bone broth is a great place to start. So, why not give it a try and see the difference it makes for your furry family member?