If your dog pulls on the leash when you’re out and about, you’re definitely not alone! A lot of dogs love to explore their surroundings, and unfortunately, that often leads them to tug at their leash.
But don’t worry – I’ve got you covered! In this post, I take a look at some of the best dog leashes for pups that pull. Dive in below for a roundup of the best products on the market, as well as some helpful tips for training your pup to walk nicely on a leash.
What Is a Leash for Dogs That Pull?
A leash for dogs that pull is exactly what it sounds like – a leash designed to help provide control when dogs pull during walks. Unlike traditional or retractable leashes, they tend to be made from stronger, more durable materials with reinforced hardware.
These types of leashes also have useful features like dual handles to provide extra grip and control, shock-absorbing material, reflective stitching, swivel clasps, and more. These features make them an excellent choice for any pet parent who struggles when walking their dog.
Table of Contents
What Is the Best Leash for Dogs That Pull?
Here are my top picks for the best leash for dogs that pull:
Best Harness and Leash Combo for Dogs That Pull
1) Harness Lead Polyester No Pull Dog Harness
Looking for the perfect leash for a pup that pulls? Look no further than the Harness Lead Polyester No Pull Dog Harness! This leash is crafted in the USA from double-braided nylon for exceptional quality and strength. It has a tensile strength of up to 3,700 lbs, so you know it can handle even the most excitable dogs.
- Braided nylon leash strong enough to hold a boat
- Won’t chafe or irritate your pup’s skin
- Fully adjustable straps to slip on and take off
- Machine washable and can be hung out to dry
The Harness Lead Polyester No Pull Dog Harness is perfect if you need a heavy-duty leash that can handle an enthusiastic pooch who pulls. It’s made in the USA from quality, durable materials that won’t harm your dog when they’re on the move. Best of all, it’s strong, stylish, and fully size adjustable.
The soft texture is gentle on your dog’s skin and won’t irritate or cause chafing, while the movable rubber stops make it easy to adjust the harness to any size. It’s also quick and easy to clean – just machine wash when needed. Most importantly, it’s simple to put on and take off your dog when it’s time for a walk.
Best No Pull Double Dog Leash
2) Leashboss Original Heavy Duty Two Handle No Pull Double Dog Leash
Looking for a leash that can handle your big, strong dog? Check out the Leashboss Original Heavy Duty Two Handle No Pull Double Dog Leash. This tough, durable leash is specifically engineered for medium and large-breed dogs and is made in the USA.
- Take control of your dog’s pulling with the double leash design
- Long leash is ideal for extended walks or hiking
- Always keep your pup at your side with dual handles for exceptional control
- Years of use guaranteed with strong nylon webbing and metal design
- Supreme comfort for your canine without chafing or leash burn
The Leashboss Original Heavy Duty Two Handle No Pull Double Dog Leash is a great choice for reigning in big dogs that like to pull. It’s made from strong, 1-inch nylon webbing with all-metal hardware, and has two padded handles for extra comfort and control. It’s also fully adjustable so you can find the perfect fit for your four-legged friend.
The twin neoprene-padded handles provide excellent control and comfort while eliminating chafing or leash burn. Plus, one handle is positioned at the end of the leash for greater mobility and freedom while hiking or walking. So, whether you’re out for a leisurely stroll or an adventurous hike, the Leashboss Original Heavy Duty Two Handle No Pull Double Dog Leash has you covered.
Best Trail Runner Leash for Dogs That Pull
3) Chai's Choice Trail Runner Polyester Reflective Dog Leash
The Chai’s Choice Trail Runner Polyester Reflective Dog Leash is an excellent option for gaining more control over your dog while out on the trail. This leash is made from durable canvas with ergonomic neoprene padding on the top handle for comfort. It also features colorful nylon webbing for increased visibility with 3M reflective stitching throughout.
- Multi-handle leash ensures control for you and comfort for your pup
- Colorful nylon and reflective stitching for maximum visibility
- Alloy carabiner means a snug fit every time
- Size adjustable for small, medium, and large breeds
Chai’s Choice Trail Runner Polyester Reflective Dog Leash is perfect for keeping an extra tight hold on your pup. It has multiple handles for firmer control and comes with a reflective stitching pattern for added safety. It’s also fully adjustable, making it ideal for dogs of all shapes and sizes.
The sturdy leash includes an aluminum alloy carabiner to ensure a safe and secure fit. It’s the ideal leash for small, medium, and large dog breeds. So, go ahead and take your pup out on all your adventures with confidence knowing that they’re safely secured with the Chai’s Choice Trail Runner Polyester Reflective Dog Leash.
Best No Pull Leash for Small Dogs
4) ThunderLeash No Pull Nylon Dog Leash
Looking for a safe, gentle way to train your small dog not to pull on the leash? The ThunderLeash No Pull Nylon Dog Leash is an excellent option. This shock-absorbing leash is designed to wrap around your pup’s torso and provide consistent feedback, promoting a no-pull philosophy.
- Made in the USA from high-quality materials
- Easy connect, training free extension
- Feedback loop encourages your four-legged pal not to pull
- Padded handle for extra comfort
- Reflective stitching for nighttime visibility
The ThunderLeash No Pull Nylon Dog Leash is a great choice for anyone looking for an affordable, effective way to train their dog not to pull. It’s easy to use and comfortable for both you and your pup.
The soft-touch padded handle ensures your comfort during walks, while the reflective stitching increases your visibility during those duskier strolls. The best part? No training is required for your stubborn pooch – simply connect the leash and enjoy a more controlled walk.
Best Bungee Leash for Dogs That Pull
5) OneTigris Training Nylon Bungee Dog Leash
The OneTigris Training Nylon Bungee Dog Leash is a durable and dependable leash for when dogs pull. The 1-inch wide collar and large metal bull clip combine strength with safety, while the reflective stitching down the entire length and on both sides of the leash provides additional safety and visibility at night.
- Heavy-duty leash made from durable nylon
- Comfortable thickened handle design
- Shock absorbing bungee action allows maximum range of movement
- Padded control loop keeps you side by side with your dog in any environment
- Bull clip and thumb lever offer an added layer of security
Go for the OneTigris Training Nylon Bungee Dog Leash if you need a reliable and comfortable leash that will give you and your pup plenty of room to roam. It’s available in three stylish colors, has a padded control loop for extra comfort, and comes with a thumb lever and bull clip for added security. Plus, it’s reflective for added safety during night walks.
The shock absorbing bungee allows for increased range, while also reducing the impact of any sudden movement on your furry pal. Made of sturdy nylon with a soft EVA-padded control loop, this leash is ideal for training, hiking, or everyday walks. The control loop fits comfortably in your hand, and the 3.875-ft length gives you plenty of room to maneuver.
Best Shock Absorbing Leash for Dogs That Pull
6) Carhartt Shock-Absorbing Dog Leash
The Carhartt Shock-Absorbing Dog Leash is tough enough to stand up to anything your dog throws at it. Made of durable nylon with a duck canvas weave, this leash is built to last. The elastic shock control zone absorbs any sudden jolts, keeping your dog safe and secure.
- Safe and durable – designed with your security in mind
- Duck canvas weave with shock control perimeter
- Several attachment points and a gated clip
- Moveable slotted D-ring
- Reflective triple-needle stitching
The Carhartt Shock-Absorbing Dog Leash in brown is the right choice if you’re on the hunt for a safe, durable, and stylish leash that won’t break the bank. With features like an elastic shock control zone and multiple attachment points, this leash has everything you need to keep you and your pooch safe and secure on all of your adventures.
Other key features include a metal trigger claw clasp and an extra gated clip that provide multiple attachment options. The slotted metal D-ring can also be moved up and down the leash for added convenience. And for those early morning or late night walks, the reflective webbing adds an extra level of visibility in low-light situations.
Best No Pull Leash With Traffic Control Handle
7) EzyDog Zero Shock Absorbing Dog Leash
Looking for a dog leash that will make walks and runs more enjoyable? Check out the EzyDog Zero Shock Absorbing Dog Leash. With patented Zero Shock Technology, this leash absorbs shock and drastically reduces strain and pull, making it much more comfortable for you and your pup.
- Zero Shock Tech virtually eliminates strain and pull for you and your dog
- Waterproof with a durable grip
- Fully customizable – find the style and size that fits your pet perfectly
- Quickly and easily attach accessories using a D-ring and barrel lock
- Webbing and stitching tailored to increase visibility
The EzyDog Zero Shock Absorbing Dog Leash is a great choice for any pet parent who needs a reliable and comfortable leash. With patented Zero Shock Technology, this leash absorbs shock and drastically reduces strain and pull, making it much more comfortable for you and your four-legged best pal. The blend of soft-touch webbing and reflective stitching also makes it great for nighttime visibility, while the neoprene outer handle ensures a comfortable grip.
This leash is available in two lengths and a variety of colors and patterns to suit your style. The versatile leash also features a D-ring and barrel lock, making it perfect for attaching accessories like keys, waste bags, and more. There’s also a convenient traffic control handle that can be used when crossing streets or navigating crowded areas.
Best Leather Leash for Dogs That Pull
8) Logical Leather Heavy Duty Dog Leash
The Logical Leather Heavy Duty Dog Leash is crafted in the USA by master American leather workers, so you can rest assured that it’s built to last. The durable hardware is rust-resistant and designed to stand up to even the most extreme conditions. And the sturdy clip is easy to fasten and disengage, which means it won’t come undone mid-walk.
- Will last years thanks to expert American leather workers
- Rust-resistant hardware made to survive the harshest environments
- Easily fastenable clip will stay secure even during the most vigorous walk
- Top grain, water-resistant leather will give you a lifetime’s worth of memories with your dog
The Logical Leather Heavy Duty Dog Leash is the perfect leash for those who are looking for quality and durability at a great price. Made in the USA by expert craftspeople, this leash is built to last with rust-resistant hardware and water-resistant leather.
The extra-thick top grain leather used to make this leash is water and stain-resistant, and won’t tear your hands or collect hair. Plus, the sturdy clip is easy to fasten and won’t come undone. With proper care, this leash will last a lifetime. Invest in quality – and in your furriest family member – with this durable leather leash for dogs that pull.
Best Dual Handle Leash for Dogs That Pull
9) Tuff Mutt Dual Handle Rope Dog Leash
Searching for a tough leash that can handle even the strongest of dogs? The Tuff Mutt Dual Handle Rope Dog Leash is just the ticket. Made with weather-resistant polypropylene and an aviation aluminum swivel carabiner, this dual-handle leash can hold up to 1,000 pounds of force – plenty to keep even the most powerful pups under control.
- Best suited to dogs weighing from 30 to 150 pounds
- Swivel carabiner to handle maximum force
- Made from polypropylene – built to handle many different environments
- Webbed and padded handle to maximize comfort
- Designed to keep your pooch constantly close to you
Tuff Mutt’s Dual Handle Rope Dog Leash is a top option for any pet parent looking for a reliable and stylish leash that can handle even the strongest dogs. Made from weather-resistant polypropylene, this leash is built to last. The aviation aluminum swivel carabiner is also designed to hold up to 1,000 pounds of force, making it perfect for keeping your pup under control on walks.
The safety-conscious design is perfect for keeping your dog close by your side, while the 5-foot length gives them just enough room to sniff around on more relaxed walks. Plus, the comfortable webbed handle and extra padding make it easy on your hands, even when your dog is pulling.
Best Long Leash for Dogs That Pull
10) Prima Pets Dual-Handle Reflective Dog Leash
The Prima Pets Dual-Handle Reflective Dog Leash is designed to provide a comfortable walking experience for both you and your dog. The dual handles are lined with neoprene for added comfort, and the leash itself is made from weather-resistant, durable material that can withstand years of use. The heavy-duty swivel clasp ensures secure attachment to your dog’s collar, and the D-ring is perfect for attaching poop bags.
- Neoprene handles for maximum comfort during walks
- D-Ring for hassle-free poop clean up
- Swivel clasp for easy, ultra-secure collar attachment
- Highly durable material designed to withstand years of stress and strain
- Reflective stitching to enhance safety during daytime, evening, or nighttime walks
When it comes to finding a dual-handle leash you can rely on, the Prima Pets Dual-Handle Reflective Dog Leash is a top choice. It’s durably made from weather-resistant material and comes with a heavy-duty swivel clasp, D-ring for easy attachment to your dog’s collar, and neoprene handles for added comfort. Not only is it incredibly high-quality, but it won’t cost you the earth either.
This leash is available in a 6-foot length, making it ideal for dogs that like to roam. Another great feature is the reflective stitching, which adds an extra level of safety when walking your dog at night or in low-light conditions. Give your dog the freedom to roam while keeping them safe with this well-designed leash for dogs that pull.
I hope you can find something for you in my list of the 10 best dog leashes for pups that pull. Whether you need a reliable, comfortable leash for walks, a shock-absorbing leash, or a more heavy-duty option such as a bungee leash for the most energetic dogs, there’s definitely something here that will suit your needs. And, of course, all of these dog leashes come in at a reasonable price so you won’t have to break the bank to keep your pup safe and under control. Happy walkies!